Friday, May 14, 2010

Goodbyes and See-You-Laters

My German friend leaves today.  We've spent a night to two each week for the last few months working  at a local coffehouse on our respective dissertations and projects (aka observing extremely awkward first dates while we stare blankly at our computer screens), eating lots of Mexican food (her fave and a rarity in Germany), and shopping.  After leaving a farewell party for her last night we started talking about goodbyes.  I was so surprised when she said, "well, it's not a goodbye, it's a see you later," in her matter-of-fact German way.  I thought, that's my family's slogan!  How did she know?  Goodbyes don't always have to be forever.  So I got to thinking last night after we exchanged our hugs, gifts (for her a cozy flight pillow and for me Eat, Pray, Love audio book), and "see you laters" how very true those words are.

I've done the farewell thing often enough in my day.  They're usually sad (though not always true) but goodbyes have always seemed too final.  While occassionally it doesn't work out to stay in touch with a long-distance friend, oftentimes what seems like a goodbye is really a see you later.  So that's my policy, learned from my family.  While it's heartbreaking to say farewell knowing it will be months or years before we see each other again, a see you later calms it a bit, knowing that for sure, I will see them later.  It doesn't take away all of the hurt or sadness of the farewell (see Mexico airport departures...), and tears are still welcome, but it helps knowing that person will be there another day, another time, ready to greet you with open arms and continue right where you left off.

Many of you know that I'll be exchanging a lot of "see you laters" as well as goodbyes in the coming weeks.  Now, I'm not going to dwell on this too much as I still have two weeks left to enjoy, but after four years here it's hard not to get sentimental at the thought.  I've developed some of the best friendships I've had, been included as family, and watched my friends' children grow.  So suffice it to say that when the truck and all of my things (myself included) leave town in two weeks, a piece of my heart and my love will be staying here.  There will be some goodbyes, those people I know I will never see again unless by chance.  But I know that for those others, those special ones who have invited me into their homes, their lives, their families, and their hearts, it's just a see-you-later.  We will see each other soon, one day, because that connection is too meaningful for me to separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment